Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hope

Amazing. It isn't so very often that I read the news and inspired to hope. Today was different. The New York Times has been running articles lately on the new back to the land movement. Though they aren't calling it that. What I read today was inspiring. It lines right up with what I want to do and what I hope to help other people do in some small way. Nice to know that we are not alone in the world. And this is starting to feel like a groundswell. Take this chicken thing for example.... but that is for another post.

Victory Garden? Check. Roof top gardens in the city? Yes, please! Tearing down development to put up farmland? Yuppers. Claiming unused space for parks/greenspace? Brilliant. Choosing greenspace over parking? Amen.

And as the double dog bonus, I found these guys as a result and joined a yarn CSA - the first an only in the country. I wish it was a little more local, but hopefully, it will catch on. We'll see how it goes.

I had this interesting conversation with a good friend several months ago, as we were talking about local things.... I had found an alpaca farm that might let me buy yarn there... I started thinking about how there is precious little local cloth and the the true cost of clothing the real cost of purchasing locally grown fiber, and having it transformed into a outfit. DANG. THINK about the work. At a living wage - no wonder people only had one set of clothes in the "olden days" That shit is expensive. What it really made me think is that a $40 pair of jeans must be doin' a lot of people wrong and a few people WAY too right.

It is a complicated world we live in.

No comments: