Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cooking Chez Moi

With the SB in the burg, I don't cook much for myself. And when I do, it is generally on the weekend and generally something in a vat that I can feed from all week (though my interest usually flags by Wednesday or Thursday.) This weekend, I made chicken soup, which I absolutely love (breakfast, lunch and dinner until it is gone). I like it broth-y. This means that if I use a whole chicken to make the broth, I have too much chicken for soup. To avoid having leftover boiled chicken cluttering up the fridge, I found a recipe I cut out of Cooking Light for enchiladas verde. Perfect.

I needed supplies, so I stopped at my local Hispanic market on the way home from work to pick up tomatillo salsa and corn tortillas and a teeny can of red salsa. Of course, they didn't have the other thing I needed, which was low fat cream cheese. So, once home, I popped in the car and motor up to my other local spot, C'ville Market, where in addition to full fat cream cheese, I purchased an avocado, two chocolate bars and a bag of malted milk balls. (One should NEVER shop when one is hungry.) Home again home again jiggity jig.

I chopped a small onion and a couple cloves of garlic and sauteed them in a little olive oil (the recipe says to spin them around in the food processor, but it is too complicated to clean and I don't really like raw onion that much). I added the half bottle of green salsa after the garlic/onion mixture sauteed for a bit. I used approximately 3 oz of the 1 cup of cream cheese I had to purchase and mixed it with 80% of the leftover chicken (about 2 cups if you are following this for the recipe). I simmered the corn tortillas in salsa verde for half a minute on each side and filled them with chicken & cream cheese mixture. I have approximately 95% of this stack of corn tortillas left, because they only sell corn tortillas by the bale at the Hispanic grocery. The tortillas went seam side down in a baking dish and got sprinkled with more salsa and some cheddar cheese. They baked at 425 for about 15 minutes. Then they got plopped on a plate, with half an avocado and some red salsa. Now, these things are passable tasty, though they have very little resemblance to the good for you items in the magazine (which is probably half the reason they are tasty). And now, instead of having 2 leftover chicken breasts in my fridge, I have:
1/2 chicken breast, cooked
4/5 of a can of red salsa
1/3 of a bottle of green salsa
346 corn tortillas
3/4 cup of cream cheese
1/2 avocado
6 not so low fat enchiladas verde

Um. Yeah. I suspect I missed something in home ec.

No comments: