Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Fruits of the Killing Fields

So, that pumpkin.... I found a recipe that does right by it... This recipe is adapted from the recipe for Basque Pumpkin and Corn Bread as published in Mediterranean Light by Martha Rose Schulman. Of course, I had to adapt it. Sheesh what were you thinking.

Preheat oven to 400. Mix 1 cup of mashed, drained pumpkin (or just canned if you are using that) with 1 cup of delicious, unpasteurized whole milk (or skim milk from the store if you aren't lucky to have the real thing available), 1 1/2 T. melted butter (the real recipe calls for safflower oil, but I never have any), and 1 1/2 T. honey. Mix this together and then add 2 eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each. Put a greased 1 quart (I used an 8x8 square pan) in the oven to heat for at least 5 minutes

Sift 3/4 cup of regular all purpose flour and 1 1/4 cup of cornmeal (stone ground is delicious), 1 T. of baking powder, 1/2 t. baking soda and 1 t. salt on to the wet ingredients. Stir to incorporate but don't over stir. Pour into the hot pan and stick it in the oven for 35 minutes. I found this bread went from not at all done to just done in about 3 minutes, so keep a close eye on it at the end.

This would be especially fabulous with a very spicy chili garnished with sour cream and chives (I am not a big garnish-er myself, but I sure do appreciate the skill/art of it when it is done right). This bread stays moist and spring-y, which is not typical of corn bread and one reason I don't really make it all that often. Well, that and I don't want to eat a whole pan of cornbread on my own....(but I am sure the chickens will like the leftovers when they are here). The recipe says that it doesn't freeze well. Luckily, the SB is here, which is why I spent all of yesterday in the kitchen.

No comments: