Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More Critters

So the rain this afternoon put the kibosh on my mowing. The poor SB is going to be stuck with it when he comes home, I fear. I did go out and check the garden. I brought in the last (almost) of the strawberries and the first of the broccoli. While I was inspecting the blueberries (coming along nicely thankyouverymuch), I noticed a bird huddled in the corner of the bed. Its eyes were closed though it was upright. I thought it might be dead anyway - struck by one of those mysterious illnesses that seem to periodically affect the wild and fragile. Luckily, I had already closed the garden by the time the cat came out to join me. He prowled the edges of the garden fence for a while - somehow he knew the bird was there, though it seemed hidden in the bed. I went in the house and from the porch saw the cat getting more frantic. Then I saw the bird flying around inside the garden fence. I made tracks for the garden at that point and scooped up kitty kins just as he was making to pounce on the bird, which had managed to get itself over the fence by this time. He was so close to being a scooby snack. Hope he makes good on his added life. I think it was a juvenile bluebird. No parents to be seen anywhere. He probably took the car keys without asking.

No comments: